Welcome to Carpet Cleaning in Sacramento CA!
Posted on January 1, 2018
What Method of Carpet Cleaning in Sacramento CA is the Answer to Your Allergy Problems at Home?
Sacramento Carpet Cleaning methods are not all the same. In fact, there are many different ways to clean various types of carpet. What many people do not understand is that carpet fibers are not all made the same, so certain types of carpet will require a different type of cleaning method. Certain cleansers may also be harmful for some carpet fibers while they work wonders for other types. It is important to complete preliminary research before having just any carpet cleaning company in Sacramento CA come to a home and clean the carpet with whatever method they feel like using without regard to what is best for the carpet.
Call Today for a FREE Quote! (916) 706-3211
To keep informed, it is probably a good idea to learn about a few of the different carpet cleaning methods in California and how they work. Below are a few different carpet cleaning methods:
1. Shampooing a Carpet - Typically this seems to be the least effective method on any carpet. What occurs during a carpet shampooing is that formulated detergents are applied directly to the carpet and then the professional carpet cleaners will use a machine that agitates the cleanser. Then they will use a vacuum to extract the cleanser and make the carpet look very clean. The detergents used are formulated to make the carpet seem bright and smell nice. However, it does little more any caked on dirt deep down in the pad of the carpet. So if the main purpose of a carpet cleaning for a home is to make it look nice, maybe for a special occasion where a lot of people will be walking around so the carpet will need to be cleaned again anyway, shampooing can be the right choice. However, for health and wellness reasons, it is typically not the top choice.
2. Dry Carpet Cleaning - Most people recommend the dry cleaning method over any other. It is certainly helpful since there is little to no down time since the carpet will not need to dry for a long period of time as is necessary with other methods. Most of the time, using a special cleaning powder completes the process. It is sprinkled all over the carpet and it will automatically start attracting dirt. After it has stayed on the carpet an appropriate amount of time to absorb, it is then sucked up by a vacuum, leaving the carpet almost as good as new. A few carpet cleaning companies have made modifications to this method with different cleansers, such as an oxygenated cleanser. This method works well too, because although it may make the carpet wet just briefly, the oxygenated bubbles help lift dirt out of the base of the carpet, allowing it to be cleaned up even more effectively.
3. Foam Carpet Cleaning - This method is also very useful. It basically takes a little bit of the shampoo method and then combines it with the dry cleaning method. A cleansing foam and a small amount of water are applied to the carpet. The cleansing foam is also designed to attract dirt dust and harmful fibers like the powder in a dry cleaning method does. It works its way through the carpet and then the foam, along with all the dirt and dust particles it has collected are extracted from the carpet. This method works best of tougher carpet due to the nature of the foam as well as the vacuum.
4. Steam Carpet Cleaning - Steam carpet cleaning is probably one of the most well known cleaning methods and is also used often by Sacramento Carpet Cleaners. It does have its disadvantages though because it uses an awful lot of water. When the water soaks deep down into the pad of the carpet, it can damage it so severely that the carpet may need to be replaced. However, if steam cleaning is done properly, and not too frequently, it can be effective. It is also known as "Hot water extraction" and basically it works by having a very powerful machine put a hot water and cleanser solution deep down into the carpet. Then the machine will extract the cleanser with a powerful suction. All of this will most likely get the most dirt out of the carpet, however, it may cause the carpet damage over time. It also means the carpet will be wet for a while, so do not use this method as a quick fix, since there is nothing quick about it.
The Hot Water Extraction (HWE) method, is a method used in chemistry for extraction and for "steam cleaning". The pressurized hot water extraction (PHWE) process uses a combination of high water pressure for agitation, and hot water to increase reaction rate.
Though commonly called "Steam Cleaning", no actual steam is involved in the HWE cleaning process, apart from steam that may escape incidentally from hot water. When the cleaning solution comes in contact with the carpet/rug, it is anywhere between 50-120 degrees Celsius, according to the heat available from the cleaning unit. For instance, in a modern truck-mounted carpet cleaning machine, water can be heated under pressure to 150+ degrees Celsius, but after passing through high pressure steel braided hose and several manifolds, the water loses much of its heat.
The typical cleaning method involves a preconditioning of the soiled surface with an alkaline (7 or above on the pH Scale) agent, followed by light agitation with a grooming brush and appropriate dwell time. Next, the surface is passed over several times with a cleaning tool (either manual or automatic) to thoroughly rinse out the preconditioner and, using an acetic acid solution, lower the pH of the fibres to a neutral state. Finally, the surface is dried sufficiently to avoid any possibility of saturation.
Hot Water Extraction Machines
Professional machines range from portable machines, which use electricity to heat the water and power the water pump and vacuum motors, to larger truck mounted machines. Truck mounts are normally stationary gas/diesel engine or PTO powered machines installed in a van or truck. The portable machine is able to access difficult to reach buildings and high story floors, while the truck mount's advantages are its power to heat the water and power of vacuum and faster cleaning and drying times. DIY and rental machines use some of the technology from the professional systems, but with less power and usually without an element to heat water (filling the unit with hot water is advised) the results are limited; these units are not typically called HWE systems.
5. Bonnet Carpet Cleaning - This method is mostly used for commercial buildings due to the amount of carpet inside of them. It is not meant to be incredibly effective, since commercial buildings experience so much traffic anyway. Basically this method will keep the carpets looking fresh and clean, even though some dirt and dust may still be lurking under the surface. A chemical detergent is applied to the carpet and then a rotary machine is equipped with an absorbent pad and then worked across the carpet.
Need Carpet Cleaned in Sacramento?
Step 1: Make a decision to have your carpet cleaned.
The longer your carpet accumulates soil the faster your carpet will wear out leaving you with the expensive cost to replace them. Never prolong carpet cleaning longer than 8 to 12 months.
Step 2: Rank your cleaning objectives based on the following...
1. Carpet Cleaning Method (Steam Cleaning, Bonnet Cleaning, etc)
2. The price your budget can handle
3. Whether to do business with a large franchise or a local family operated business.
4. Any other personal preferences you may have (guarantee, same day service, etc)
Step 3: Perform an internet search for cleaning companies in your area and make a list of their contact information, including web site addresses.
Step 4: Contact the service provider and drill them with questions. Be sure to inform them of your objectives and expectations. A good company will take the time to address your concerns and answer your questions in detail.
Here are a few questions to ask:
1. What cleaning method do you use?
2. Do you offer a guarantee?
3. Are all your technicians certified by the IICRC
4. What will you do if a spot reappears within days?
5. Do you free onsite quotes.
Step 5: Schedule an onsite quote and/or demonstration. This gives you the chance to meet the company you will be doing business with before purchasing their service. Take note of their professionalism and how they address your areas of concern.
Step 6: The next step is the easy part which is schedule service!!
Have fun and enjoy your clean carpet! You deserve it!!
Need Carpet Cleaning in Sacramento CA? Call Today! (916) 706-3211
There is a lot of information, sometimes very confusing information, available regarding the different methods of carpet cleaning. The method known as VLM or Very Low Moisture carpet cleaning is probably one of the most misunderstood. In this article, I would like to clear up some of the misunderstandings and explain the benefits of VLM.
Low moisture carpet cleaning is sometimes referred to as "dry cleaning", which it is not. Dry carpet cleaning involves spreading a dry compound, about the consistency of corn meal onto the carpet. The compound is then worked into the carpet, allowing it to absorb any soil and dirt present which can then be vacuumed away. This method can be effective and leaves behind no moisture or residue, but unless a very thorough vacuuming is done a lot of the dry compound can remain and cause build up in the carpet.
VLM is also frequently compared with Hot Water Extraction cleaning; more commonly know as "steam cleaning". HWE is the most aggressive form of carpet cleaning and the best method on carpets that can be described as trashed. In this process, hot water usually combined with some sort of cleaning agent is forced under pressure into the carpeting and then extracted using powerful industrial vacuums, either truck mounted or in a portable machine. This is done with a tool known as a "wand". HWE provides the most thorough and deepest cleaning for carpets. However, due to the high volume of water, carpets can be left saturated with water if proper care is not taken during extraction. Also, the volume of water and high heat can damage some carpets.
Low moisture carpet cleaning combines some of the best qualities of the other two methods. With VLM, cleaning agents are mixed with water and then lightly sprayed onto the carpeting. There is just enough moisture present to activate the cleaning agents and interact with the soil. After the detergent is allowed enough time to dwell, a rotary floor machine or another machine known as a cylindrical rotating brush machine is used to work the cleaning agents into the carpet and loosen the soil and other contaminants. Now with this method, some of the soil and detergent is removed by the brushes or pad, but quite a bit can remain in the carpet. By using encapsulating cleaning agents, this method becomes extremely effective. After, agitating the carpet the remaining soil becomes "encapsulated" in the cleaning agents as it dries. The dried detergent and soil can then be easily removed during a thorough post vacuuming.
While all carpet cleaning methods can be effective and have their strengths, low moisture carpet cleaning is very effective way to regularly maintain your carpets without using excessive moisture. Keep in mind this method is best used on commercial carpeting or any other short pile carpet. It is also best used carpet that would not be described as trashed.
Thanks for reading. I hope you find the information helpful in deciding which cleaning method is best when choosing a carpet maintenance plan.
So it is clear that not all carpet cleaning methods in Sacramento CA are the same. Now that the different methods are clearly outlined, it's time to figure out which one will work best in your own home. Choose wisely, as different methods will affect different types of carpet in various ways.