Welcome to Carpet Cleaning in Sacramento CA!
Posted on January 1, 2018
What Method of Carpet Cleaning in Sacramento CA is the Answer to Your Allergy Problems at Home?
Sacramento Carpet Cleaning methods are not all the same. In fact, there are many different ways to clean various types of carpet. What many people do not understand is that carpet fibers are not all made the same, so certain types of carpet will require a different type of cleaning method. Certain cleansers may also be harmful for some carpet fibers while they work wonders for other types. It is important to complete preliminary research before having just any carpet cleaning company in Sacramento CA come to a home and clean the carpet with whatever method they feel like using without regard to what is best for the carpet.
Call Today for a FREE Quote! (916) 706-3211
To keep informed, it is probably a good idea to learn about a few of the different carpet cleaning methods in California and how they work. Below are a few different carpet cleaning methods:
1. Shampooing a Carpet - Typically this seems to be the least effective method on any carpet. What occurs during a carpet shampooing is that formulated detergents are applied directly to the carpet and then the professional carpet cleaners will use a machine that agitates the cleanser. Then they will use a vacuum to extract the cleanser and make the carpet look very clean. The detergents used are formulated to make the carpet seem bright and smell nice. However, it does little more any caked on dirt deep down in the pad of the carpet. So if the main purpose of a carpet cleaning for a home is to make it look nice, maybe for a special occasion where a lot of people will be walking around so the carpet will need to be cleaned again anyway, shampooing can be the right choice. However, for health and wellness reasons, it is typically not the top choice.
2. Dry Carpet Cleaning - Most people recommend the dry cleaning method over any other. It is certainly helpful since there is little to no down time since the carpet will not need to dry for a long period of time as is necessary with other methods. Most of the time, using a special cleaning powder completes the process. It is sprinkled all over the carpet and it will automatically start attracting dirt. After it has stayed on the carpet an appropriate amount of time to absorb, it is then sucked up by a vacuum, leaving the carpet almost as good as new. A few carpet cleaning companies have made modifications to this method with different cleansers, such as an oxygenated cleanser. This method works well too, because although it may make the carpet wet just briefly, the oxygenated bubbles help lift dirt out of the base of the carpet, allowing it to be cleaned up even more effectively.
3. Foam Carpet Cleaning - This method is also very useful. It basically takes a little bit of the shampoo method and then combines it with the dry cleaning method. A cleansing foam and a small amount of water are applied to the carpet. The cleansing foam is also designed to attract dirt dust and harmful fibers like the powder in a dry cleaning method does. It works its way through the carpet and then the foam, along with all the dirt and dust particles it has collected are extracted from the carpet. This method works best of tougher carpet due to the nature of the foam as well as the vacuum.
4. Steam Carpet Cleaning - Steam carpet cleaning is probably one of the most well known cleaning methods and is also used often by Sacramento Carpet Cleaners. It does have its disadvantages though because it uses an awful lot of water. When the water soaks deep down into the pad of the carpet, it can damage it so severely that the carpet may need to be replaced. However, if steam cleaning is done properly, and not too frequently, it can be effective. It is also known as "Hot water extraction" and basically it works by having a very powerful machine put a hot water and cleanser solution deep down into the carpet. Then the machine will extract the cleanser with a powerful suction. All of this will most likely get the most dirt out of the carpet, however, it may cause the carpet damage over time. It also means the carpet will be wet for a while, so do not use this method as a quick fix, since there is nothing quick about it.
The Hot Water Extraction (HWE) method, is a method used in chemistry for extraction and for "steam cleaning". The pressurized hot water extraction (PHWE) process uses a combination of high water pressure for agitation, and hot water to increase reaction rate.
Though commonly called "Steam Cleaning", no actual steam is involved in the HWE cleaning process, apart from steam that may escape incidentally from hot water. When the cleaning solution comes in contact with the carpet/rug, it is anywhere between 50-120 degrees Celsius, according to the heat available from the cleaning unit. For instance, in a modern truck-mounted carpet cleaning machine, water can be heated under pressure to 150+ degrees Celsius, but after passing through high pressure steel braided hose and several manifolds, the water loses much of its heat.
The typical cleaning method involves a preconditioning of the soiled surface with an alkaline (7 or above on the pH Scale) agent, followed by light agitation with a grooming brush and appropriate dwell time. Next, the surface is passed over several times with a cleaning tool (either manual or automatic) to thoroughly rinse out the preconditioner and, using an acetic acid solution, lower the pH of the fibres to a neutral state. Finally, the surface is dried sufficiently to avoid any possibility of saturation.
Hot Water Extraction Machines
Professional machines range from portable machines, which use electricity to heat the water and power the water pump and vacuum motors, to larger truck mounted machines. Truck mounts are normally stationary gas/diesel engine or PTO powered machines installed in a van or truck. The portable machine is able to access difficult to reach buildings and high story floors, while the truck mount's advantages are its power to heat the water and power of vacuum and faster cleaning and drying times. DIY and rental machines use some of the technology from the professional systems, but with less power and usually without an element to heat water (filling the unit with hot water is advised) the results are limited; these units are not typically called HWE systems.
5. Bonnet Carpet Cleaning - This method is mostly used for commercial buildings due to the amount of carpet inside of them. It is not meant to be incredibly effective, since commercial buildings experience so much traffic anyway. Basically this method will keep the carpets looking fresh and clean, even though some dirt and dust may still be lurking under the surface. A chemical detergent is applied to the carpet and then a rotary machine is equipped with an absorbent pad and then worked across the carpet.
Need Carpet Shampoo Service?
There are various kinds of used carpet cleaning equipment on the market today. To determine what is best for the carpet cleaning owner depends on the kind of carpet cleaning job the company wants to attract. For home cleaning, there are portable machines which perform very well. For providing service to large customers, there are large machines which can clean several thousand square feet at a time.
The vacuum cleaner will be the primary piece of used carpet cleaning equipment the business owner can purchase. Vacuuming the carpet before and after the cleaning process is vital to the final product.
The next area of consideration is what type of carpet is the equipment going to be used? There are two basic types of carpet cleaning, but there are many different names given to those processes. Mostly, they are marketing names to sound like the company is offering something the competitor is not.
Carpet shampooing is very popular. It requires a carpet shampoo and a buffer. Buffers are easily found as used carpet cleaning equipment. The buffer can be large or small in size. The primary difference the business owner will need to decide is what kind of pad will be used on the buffer to agitate the shampoo put on the carpet to clean the carpet fibers. There are disadvantages and advantages to this process, but that is not the purpose of this article.
The dry cleaning method is a popular method even though it is misnamed because there is a small amount of water used in this process. The equipment used here in addition to the vacuum cleaner is an agitating brush. This can be supplied by a buffer. The point is to work the product into the carpet so that the product can dislodge soil from the fibers of the carpet and be vacuumed up after a period of drying time.
The last professional method for cleaning is the extraction method. This method uses a great deal of water and will require several hours for drying. However, depending on the size of the extracting machine used will determine the amount of drying time. The vacuum power on a larger extractor will pull more water out of the carpet, thus reducing the drying time.
The portable extracting machine can be the size of a vacuum cleaner up to 24" long and 18" in width. They are still portable, but they will clean a larger area than the smaller portable can. This is largely due to the amount of water they can carry. The other factor in extractor machines is whether they heat the water or not. Heated water will clean the fibers deeper and better than cold water. However, heating units are usually the parts which require maintenance more than those without heaters.
So, used carpet cleaning equipment is readily available in various locations. The internet is a good place to start. The disadvantage will be shipping costs. Contacting existing carpet cleaning companies may yield those companies wanting to upgrade their existing equipment and the new business owner may find used carpet cleaning equipment within his own community. Pawn shops may be another venue to locate used carpet cleaning equipment.
Need Carpet Cleaning in Sacramento CA? Call Today! (916) 706-3211
It's messy, damaging, and stubborn. Carpet stains come in various color, form, and chemical composition. For this reason, different sets of procedures are in place to get rid of nasty stains. With the goal of preserving the quality and appearance of carpets, you need to first acknowledge that stains are inevitable so you need to be aware of what to do when that time finally happens.
General Precautions in Carpet Stain Removal
Specific procedures in carpet cleaning vary but some are generally observed like as follows:
1. Know the kind of material your carpet is made of in order to avoid a chemical reaction when using commercially-prepared cleaning agents. If unsure, contact the carpet manufacturer first before purchasing or applying any chemicals.
2. Read the directions in every cleaning solution you purchase before you use them. Using these agents haphazardly might lead to more damage on your carpet.
3. Make it a point to do a spot test. Using the ideal cleaning solution, get a clean cloth, put some of the solution, and try it on a hidden area of the carpet.
4. Protect yourself from the effects of handling chemicals. Use gloves when applying cleaning agents as some are skin-reactants.
5. Prior to purchasing a carpet, it is best to arm yourself with information about stain management. Ask the manufacturer about it first.
The general tips above are useful as you learn about the specific carpet cleaning steps below.
It feels nice to walk with a cup of coffee around until it spills. When this happens, here are the steps you need to take:
- Blotting: Get a white cloth and blot the stained area until it dries. You need a few pieces of dry cloth for two reasons. First, you need to change cloth as it absorbs the spilled beverage. Second, you need to work your way inwards to prevent the spill from spreading to a larger area.
- Home-made solution: Prepare a solution of water, vinegar, and a non-bleach detergent. Apply it on the stained area, rinse it and repeat as necessary. If this method does not work, it's time to move on to the next method.
- Commercial solution: Look for a solution specifically design to treat coffee stains on carpets. Read the directions for use carefully before use.
- Reminder: The type of carpet you have plays a factor when it comes to carpet stain removal. If unsure, contact the manufacturer and ask for recommendations about managing coffee stains.
Inks stains are a variety. Some stains come from pens, some come printers, and some are from certain mechanical oils. Follow these steps to get rid of ink stains:
- Blotting: You need a piece of cloth to initially treat an ink stain. Never scrub or rub the cloth against the stain. This will spread the ink and will make cleaning more difficult for you.
- Home-made solution: Use Isopropyl alcohol to dampen a white cloth and dab it on the ink stain starting on the outermost area and going inwards. For better results, use a high percentage of Isopropyl solution. In addition, the following alcohol-based agents also work: nail polish, hairsprays, vinegar, and white wine. Rinse the stained area with water and use a vacuum cleaner to get rid of the remaining moisture.
- Commercial solution: Purchase a chemical-based solution for carpet cleaning, read the directions and precautions for carpet stain removal, and apply as directed on the stained area.
- Reminder: Do not pour alcohol directly to the stained area. Because ink emulsifies, the stain may spread.
Blood stains need to be treated as soon as possible. Here's what you can do:
- Blotting: Cleaning blood stains is a bit different. Instead of you spraying just enough liquid on the stained part, you need to liberally soak the same area for faster stain removal.
- Home-made solution: Use cold water and an anti-grease detergent to spray the stained part. Get a dry cloth to absorb the moisture. Repeat the process as necessary.
- Commercial solution: OxiClean is only among the popular products specifically designed to treat blood stains. Use it with either cold or warm water.
- Reminder: When following the home-made carpet cleaning solutions, use cold water to prevent blood coagulation.
On a final note, the carpet stain removal procedures provided above do not entail impeccable solutions. If hesitant, call for professional assistance. And always bear in mind that stains are better cleaned off as soon as they happen for better results.
So it is clear that not all carpet cleaning methods in Sacramento CA are the same. Now that the different methods are clearly outlined, it's time to figure out which one will work best in your own home. Choose wisely, as different methods will affect different types of carpet in various ways.