Welcome to Carpet Cleaning in Sacramento CA!
Posted on January 1, 2018
What Method of Carpet Cleaning in Sacramento CA is the Answer to Your Allergy Problems at Home?
Sacramento Carpet Cleaning methods are not all the same. In fact, there are many different ways to clean various types of carpet. What many people do not understand is that carpet fibers are not all made the same, so certain types of carpet will require a different type of cleaning method. Certain cleansers may also be harmful for some carpet fibers while they work wonders for other types. It is important to complete preliminary research before having just any carpet cleaning company in Sacramento CA come to a home and clean the carpet with whatever method they feel like using without regard to what is best for the carpet.
Call Today for a FREE Quote! (916) 706-3211
To keep informed, it is probably a good idea to learn about a few of the different carpet cleaning methods in California and how they work. Below are a few different carpet cleaning methods:
1. Shampooing a Carpet - Typically this seems to be the least effective method on any carpet. What occurs during a carpet shampooing is that formulated detergents are applied directly to the carpet and then the professional carpet cleaners will use a machine that agitates the cleanser. Then they will use a vacuum to extract the cleanser and make the carpet look very clean. The detergents used are formulated to make the carpet seem bright and smell nice. However, it does little more any caked on dirt deep down in the pad of the carpet. So if the main purpose of a carpet cleaning for a home is to make it look nice, maybe for a special occasion where a lot of people will be walking around so the carpet will need to be cleaned again anyway, shampooing can be the right choice. However, for health and wellness reasons, it is typically not the top choice.
2. Dry Carpet Cleaning - Most people recommend the dry cleaning method over any other. It is certainly helpful since there is little to no down time since the carpet will not need to dry for a long period of time as is necessary with other methods. Most of the time, using a special cleaning powder completes the process. It is sprinkled all over the carpet and it will automatically start attracting dirt. After it has stayed on the carpet an appropriate amount of time to absorb, it is then sucked up by a vacuum, leaving the carpet almost as good as new. A few carpet cleaning companies have made modifications to this method with different cleansers, such as an oxygenated cleanser. This method works well too, because although it may make the carpet wet just briefly, the oxygenated bubbles help lift dirt out of the base of the carpet, allowing it to be cleaned up even more effectively.
3. Foam Carpet Cleaning - This method is also very useful. It basically takes a little bit of the shampoo method and then combines it with the dry cleaning method. A cleansing foam and a small amount of water are applied to the carpet. The cleansing foam is also designed to attract dirt dust and harmful fibers like the powder in a dry cleaning method does. It works its way through the carpet and then the foam, along with all the dirt and dust particles it has collected are extracted from the carpet. This method works best of tougher carpet due to the nature of the foam as well as the vacuum.
4. Steam Carpet Cleaning - Steam carpet cleaning is probably one of the most well known cleaning methods and is also used often by Sacramento Carpet Cleaners. It does have its disadvantages though because it uses an awful lot of water. When the water soaks deep down into the pad of the carpet, it can damage it so severely that the carpet may need to be replaced. However, if steam cleaning is done properly, and not too frequently, it can be effective. It is also known as "Hot water extraction" and basically it works by having a very powerful machine put a hot water and cleanser solution deep down into the carpet. Then the machine will extract the cleanser with a powerful suction. All of this will most likely get the most dirt out of the carpet, however, it may cause the carpet damage over time. It also means the carpet will be wet for a while, so do not use this method as a quick fix, since there is nothing quick about it.
The Hot Water Extraction (HWE) method, is a method used in chemistry for extraction and for "steam cleaning". The pressurized hot water extraction (PHWE) process uses a combination of high water pressure for agitation, and hot water to increase reaction rate.
Though commonly called "Steam Cleaning", no actual steam is involved in the HWE cleaning process, apart from steam that may escape incidentally from hot water. When the cleaning solution comes in contact with the carpet/rug, it is anywhere between 50-120 degrees Celsius, according to the heat available from the cleaning unit. For instance, in a modern truck-mounted carpet cleaning machine, water can be heated under pressure to 150+ degrees Celsius, but after passing through high pressure steel braided hose and several manifolds, the water loses much of its heat.
The typical cleaning method involves a preconditioning of the soiled surface with an alkaline (7 or above on the pH Scale) agent, followed by light agitation with a grooming brush and appropriate dwell time. Next, the surface is passed over several times with a cleaning tool (either manual or automatic) to thoroughly rinse out the preconditioner and, using an acetic acid solution, lower the pH of the fibres to a neutral state. Finally, the surface is dried sufficiently to avoid any possibility of saturation.
Hot Water Extraction Machines
Professional machines range from portable machines, which use electricity to heat the water and power the water pump and vacuum motors, to larger truck mounted machines. Truck mounts are normally stationary gas/diesel engine or PTO powered machines installed in a van or truck. The portable machine is able to access difficult to reach buildings and high story floors, while the truck mount's advantages are its power to heat the water and power of vacuum and faster cleaning and drying times. DIY and rental machines use some of the technology from the professional systems, but with less power and usually without an element to heat water (filling the unit with hot water is advised) the results are limited; these units are not typically called HWE systems.
5. Bonnet Carpet Cleaning - This method is mostly used for commercial buildings due to the amount of carpet inside of them. It is not meant to be incredibly effective, since commercial buildings experience so much traffic anyway. Basically this method will keep the carpets looking fresh and clean, even though some dirt and dust may still be lurking under the surface. A chemical detergent is applied to the carpet and then a rotary machine is equipped with an absorbent pad and then worked across the carpet.
Sacramento Upholstery Cleaning Company
I think one of the most common mistakes people often make in carpet cleaning is trying to do too much. What does that mean? Simply put, people who have no professional training trying to "professionally" clean their carpet. I did not mention that to insult anyone or to discourage anyone from cleaning their carpet. I just believe people should make informed decisions before going ahead with their plans.
Why can't a regular Joe shampoo the carpet in their house? Professional carpet cleaning services use a variety of ways to take out spills and grime from your carpet. But the most common, and in fact the most effective way, is to use hot-water extraction. This possibly rings a bell and you are thinking of an infomercial you have seen on television. While that gives you an idea of what professionals do it is definitely not the only process the carpet will need. In reality carpet could be one of the dirtiest parts of your house more so in the heavy traffic areas. The dirt not only settles on top of the fibers but is stomped and rubbed in. Dirt even reaches the backing of the carpet. If you think about it, can renting a steam vacuum and using that alone coax the embedded dirt, oil and germs from the backing? You see, before the rug is even steamed it has to go through a pre-spray process that is delivered in a way that it gets to the backing. Next, they go ahead and agitate carpet so the dirt will be loosened and the soap can be worked in to further clean it. A thorough rinsing process follows this as well as a painstaking water extraction procedure. If the soap and water are not extracted properly then the dirt will be left behind and water stains will be left behind. So if you are planning to undertake this project you have to truthfully answer the question, is this something you can do correctly?
It may seem like a hassle finding efficient carpet cleaning professional but you only need have this process done every six months and only once a year for low traffic areas like a bedroom. Having professionals clean your carpet will not only preserve its lovely appearance but will also safeguard the health of your family by getting rid of the mold, mildew, bacteria, and dust that get trapped in it.
Need Carpet Cleaning in Sacramento CA? Call Today! (916) 706-3211
Okay we've all got them, well nearly all of us. Carpets. We walk over them every day. Our children walk over them and we shouldn't forget our pets! What is all of this constant traffic doing to ever so often forgotten carpets? Well the most obvious issue is soiling. Our carpets take in a vast amount of soil and dirt which, if left, is not only going to make your home appear dirty it's also going to shorten the life span of your carpet. Dirty carpets can also contain a whole host of other things too. Allergens, mites, urine deposits, greasy stains. Do you really want your home to be hosting these kinds of nasties? No. I thought not!
Cleaning your carpets needn't be an expensive exercise especially if you take small steps in your day to day maintenance procedures too. The first step to a healthy home is to regularly use your vacuum cleaner. If you ignore this step then you probably shouldn't be reading this article in the first place! Use your vacuum cleaner slowly and patiently. Frequent slow passes will remove much more soiling than fast random passes. Use more slow passes in areas of heavy soiling and on traffic lanes. It's a fact that about 80% of the soil in your carpets is dry particulate type soil. This is what the vacuum cleaner is best at removing. Use entrance mats at doorways too! Get to the problem soils before they can get to your carpet! It's much easier and quicker to occasionally clean your entrance mats than your entire room of carpet.
Okay you've taken your own steps to keep your carpets clean but sometimes you need some extra help. Most carpet manufacturers recommend that your carpets receive a deep clean at intervals of about twelve to eighteen months, more frequently if you have a particularly well used carpet. The deep clean not only cleans and revives your carpet but it will prolong its life too. There are various methods of cleaning your carpets and different factors will dictate which method is used but hot water extraction (HWE) is the method recommended by most carpet manufacturers. You can rent a machine and do this yourself or employ the services of a professionally trained and experienced carpet cleaner. With the latter you're assured of the very best results possible plus you can sit down and take a break whilst it's being done!
The professional carpet cleaner's cleaning process will begin with a thorough vacuuming of the carpets to be cleaned. Remember if this isn't done what's going to happen when water comes into contact with dry soil? Exactly! Never skip this important first step. Once the vacuum has been put away a pre-spray, appropriate to the carpet type will be applied by hand sprayer and agitated to get it into the carpet fibres. Any spots and stains will also be addressed at this stage. Following a short dwell time the carpet will be extraction cleaned. This is where the HWE machine is used to inject fluid into the carpet and extracting it at the same time. This means your carpet will not be left soaking wet! The fluid contains a rinse agent and deodorizer which leaves your carpet beautifully clean and fresh and free from sticky residues. Carpet fibres will then be dressed and an optional protector could then be applied which helps in the day to day maintenance of your carpet and prolongs its life too.
So next time you're planning your home maintenance don't forget what's right under your feet. Cleaning your carpets is essential in keeping your home happy and healthy and what's more it's cost effective too!
So it is clear that not all carpet cleaning methods in Sacramento CA are the same. Now that the different methods are clearly outlined, it's time to figure out which one will work best in your own home. Choose wisely, as different methods will affect different types of carpet in various ways.